News/Forthcoming Events Last Update: 6/7/2015
- Open Galas - Results of our 4th July gala are now available on the Open Galas page.
26th & 27th June
- AGM - The BPSC Annual General Meeting will be held on 17th July from 7:30pm in the Creche (ground floor) at Basildon Sporting Village. All parents of BPSC swimmers are invited. Please make every effort to attend. A full list of nominated and vacant committee positions which will be elected at the AGM can be found on the Club's noticeboard at the far end of the spectator gallery, nomination forms for these positions are required to be submitted by 7th July.
- End of Season Meet - A list of accepted and rejected entries has now been published on our Open Galas page. There will be timetrials available on the day in these events where space permits - previously rejected swimmers will get priority for time trial places. Individual(non-club) entrants please email a postal address for refunds to our open gala coordinator, stating the swimmers name and REFUND in the subject field, by 17th July 2015. Club refunds will processed through your own gala secretary.
- Coach opportunity - The club is inviting applications for a part-time level two (or higher) swimming coach to join our coaching team. Click here for more details.
- End of Season Open Meet - This event is heavily over- subscribed and there will be a number of rejections made on a last in first out basis. We aim to publish a full list of accepted entries by 28th June.
Entrants who have sent in an individual entry (I.e. non-BPSC and not as part of a club) please note: Unless you have been personally notified that your entry has been successful, your entry has been rejected and a full refund will be issued. Please email the return address for any refund cheque to our Open Gala Secretary.
- Club Records - The BPSC club records have been updated to include results up to 31st May. Many congratulations to Riannah Smith for breaking two overall club records (100m & 400m Free)! Also to Vejune Petraityte, James Dillon, Fraser Scott and Ben Harvey who broke club age group records, and Mason Hunnisett who improved on his own 12 Yrs 100m Fly record. James’ 50m Breaststroke record was especially notable since this was more than half a second improvement on the previous time set by Harvey Jolly back in 2011. See the Club records page for details of all overall and age group club records.
- Gala Calendar - The new 2015-16 gala calendar is now available showing galas that the club currently plans to enter over the next year.
- Summer Club Championships - Congratulations to all who took part in this event and many thanks to all the volunteers who helped make it happen. It was great to see some of our younger swimmers happily ‘chinking’ their way through the car park along with their medals at the end of the evening. See BPSC summer championships results for details.
- East Region championships - A group of 21 BPSC swimmers spent their May bank holiday weekend enjoying the delights of UEA, Norwich as they competed at the second weekend of the 2015 East Region Age Group championships. Having reached the event by securing regional qualifying times the swimmers then brought back with them 11 medals and reached 28 other final swims giving BPSC spectators plenty to look out for over this three day event. BPSC Medallists included Henry Ferries, Mason Hunnisett, Bryony Umfreville, Cole Shepherd, Victoria Rogers and Sam Bryan. See 2015 East Region Age Group Report for details.
- Essex league - The BPSC team for this year’s Essex Swimming League competition just missed out on the Division two title at the end of yet another close fought gala. The BPSC team who have been competing head to head with the Dunmow team throughout this four gala season were just one race away from securing the title but had to settle in the end for the runners up spot, losing out by just 6 swimming points on the night at the exciting final gala in Braintree. See the Essex Swimming League website for overall league results.
- Open Meet - Results from our ‘No frills’ meet are now available on the Open Galas page.
- League Galas - It was a busy weekend for BPSC as club participated in and hosted two league galas at our home pool.
Saturday was the third of four galas in the Essex league season. BPSC and Dunmow have been dominating the division so far and after finishing just behind Dunmow in the previous two galas (by 1 only point and three points respectively) another close competition was on the cards. This time round the BPSC league team pulled out some excellent performances to secure 1st place by 16 points and keep alive hopes of taking the league winners spot at the last gala in June.
On Sunday, our National Junior (M11) League team were competing against seven other clubs in the second gala of the season. This time, first place was a step too far for the BPSC squad but in another tight finish, the team did secure a very creditable second place beating clubs which included City of Cambridge, Romford and Harlow. Well done to all the swimmers who swam over the weekend and a huge thank you to the coaches, officials and volunteers who helped these events take place. Especially those who assist at both! See Essex league gala results, Essex League table.
- East Region Championships - An excellent performance from the swimmers representing BPSC in the senior weekend of the East Region Long Course championships resulted in 58 personal best times and a superb haul of 19 medals. See the East Region Gala Report for details. Individual medallists for BPSC included: Callum Hodgson, George Epsly, Conor Harrold, Harry Fox, Brooke Frost, Harvey Jolly, Rhianna Smith, Fraser Scott, James Day, Vincent Melo Peet and James Bayley.
- Club Records - The overall and age group club records have been updated to include galas up to 16th April. See Club Records page for details.
- Club Championships - There will be a summer club championships run on Friday 12th June at which all club swimmers including Academy are expected to compete (G1 squad is optional). This will be a licensed gala so that times can be fed into the ASA rankings database and there will be no other squad sessions that evening. Please complete and return the 2015 summer club championships entry form which includes a request for volunteers.
- Easter Open - The results file from our recent Easter open has been posted on the Open Galas page.
- Gala Mailing List - All BPSC members please note that club emails related to entries and arrangements for Open/National/Regional and County galas are now being sent only the the galanews mailing list. Please subscribe to this list if you still wish to receive them.
28th & 29th March
- Website - As you’ll hopefully have spotted we’ve launched a new look to our club site. All the previous material is still available but hopefully you’ll find the new version cleaner and easier to use on mobile devices. I’d love to hear your feedback so please drop me an email.
- Open Galas - Results from our Spring Timetrial are available on the Open galas page. Also added here are details and entry packs for a number of BPSC open galas through to December.
- Easter Schedule - All swimmers are reminded that there will be no sessions on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. For those of you not swimming at our Easter meet - enjoy the break!
2nd & 9th March
- Easter Open - A list of accepted entries and warm up times is now published on the Open galas page.
- Spring Timetrial - A list of accepted entries and warm up details are now available on the Open gala page. Please note that this gala is now FULL and no more entries can be accepted.
- Mailing List - To better target our club emails we are setting up a separate mailing list for information relating to Open galas, county/regional/national competitions, Gala Calendar updates, closing dates & entry information. All BPSC ASA Category 2 swimmers/parents are advised to subscribe to this list (link: gala mailing list) as soon as possible. We plan to start sending gala-related emails to the new mailing list in early March.
- Essex Counties - Top Club! At the end of three long weekends of competitive swimming BPSC finished in second place in the Essex ‘Top Club’ competition run over the 2015 Essex Age Group championships. This is the club’s highest place finish EVER and represents a climb of a further three places since last year. With over 80 swimmers representing the club there were many excellent performances which contributed to achieving the 2nd place position. The club gained over 100 medals (32 gold, 38 silver, 36 bronze and 1 relay gold) with a further 125 final/top eight individual places. We had 11 County Champions gaining 32 county titles between them - Harry Nicholls 8 titles, Brooke Frost 6, Conor Harrold 5, Isabelle Sandford 3, Harvey Jolly 2, George Epsly 2, Bryony Umfreville 2, Harry Fox, James Bayley, Mason Hunnisett, Samuel Bryan. Conor Harrold was also Essex Top Boy for the 17 & over age group and set 2 Essex Best times. Bryony Umfreville, Brooke Frost, Harry Nicholls and George Epsly were runners up as Top Boy/Girl for their respective age groups. Brooke also set an Essex Best Time.
- Club Records - The club records have been updated to include all recent results. See the Club Records page. Since the turn of the year there have been over 60 age group records broken and 9 overall club records – Conor Harrold breaking six, and Brooke Frost, Rianna Smith and Georgia Mills with one each.
- Essex Counties - Another successful block of the Essex Age Group Championships saw seven BPSC swimmers crowned County Champions in Block B winning 11 titles between them (co-incidentally, identical figures to Block A) - Isabelle Sandford (3 titles), Harry Nicholls (3 titles), Brooke Frost, Harvey Jolly, James Bayley, George Epsly and Conor Harrold.
At the end of block ‘B’ BPSC maintained second place in the ‘Top club’ competition with 1434 points behind Romford (1986.5pts) and ahead of Chelmsford (1249.5pts). See Essex Block B Results for details.
- Club Records - These have been updated with new records set during Block B of the Essex Age Group championships. See Club Records page.
- Open Galas - A revised gala calendar has been published with addition of a City of Sheffield meet in March. See Planned Galas page. Essex League gala dates are also available on this page.
- British Championships - We would like to congratulate BPSC swimmers Brooke Frost, George Epsly and Harvey Jolly in qualifying for the British championships in April for the following events: George - 100 & 200 butterfly, Brooke - 200 backstroke, Harvey - 50 freestyle.
27th & 31st Jan
- Club records - The club records have been updated to reflect recent results, up to and including Block A of the 2015 County Championships. Numerous age group records have been broken plus 3 overall club records by Conor Harrold (2) and Brooke Frost (1).
- Essex Counties - Block A of the Essex County Age Group championships produced over 30 medals for BPSC including 7 individual County champions gaining no less than 11 county titles between them - Brooke Frost (3 titles), Harry Nicholls (3 titles) plus one each for Bryony Umfreville, Harvey Jolly, George Epsly, Harry Fox and Conor Harrold. There were many other excellent performances from all our swimmers including a relay team gold for the 14 year girls 4 X 50 metre freestyle team of Bryony Umfreville, Caitlin Watson-Dotchin, Erin Lee and Issie Marshall.
At the end of first of three Essex county blocks BPSC stand in second place in the overall ‘Top Club’ points totals with 732 points.
- Open Galas - Our Spring open meet has now been confirmed as an ASA licensed level 3 meet and will now take place over two days with one session per day. Full details available on our Open galas page. Sportsystem files are now available for club entries to both this and our Easter Long Course meet.
28th December & 6th Jan 2015
- Open Meet - Results from our Winter Open meet are available on the Open galas page. Many thanks to those volunteers and officials whose support enabled this gala to take place.
- Club Records - The overall and age-based club records have been updated through to 21st December. Many records were broken in this latest update reflecting the progress our swimmers have made over the last year. See Club Records page for details.
- Open Meet change - Due to technical issues with the boom/floor at BSV the planned Winter meet in January will now be a swum as a level 2 short course meet. Our pool operators have advised that as a result of delays over the Christmas period they have been unable to obtain the necessary parts and the pool will remain in 25m mode beyond the 3rd & 4th January 2015.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will of course honour any refunds should any swimmers decide to withdraw from the meet due to the change. We will need to be notified by Wednesday 31st December if this is required. Refunds can only be given for all events that a swimmer is swimming as they will be removed from the Meet altogether. In the meantime we look forward to seeing you in January to which we are sure will still prove a very successful meet.